Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Listen to the Music: Margie's Music





The Doobie Brothers said it best...

...but my girl Margie Clayman is right on the money in her latest blog You Do It Yourself as well.

I saw the Doobie Brothers live two summers ago in Oshkosh, WI at the world's largest air show "EAA Air Venture" and walked away with a powerful message that Margie has evidently learned as well.  It's simple: Listen to the Music!

Do you ever feel, when a song comes on, that there couldn't be a more perfect song to narrate your life at that particular moment?  It happens to me all the time! For example; about two years ago, Bruce Springsteen told me to start Working On a Dream so, on a whim, I decided to introduce myself to the Festival Operations Manager (FOM) of a multi-million dollar country music festival in the area.  It is a lifelong dream of mine to put on concerts - specifically the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock...  Anyhow, I approached this "FOM" during the festival one year.  I told him how much I loved attending his event despite the fact that I was NOT much of a country music fan.  I also asked him if he had any opportunities to volunteer or intern for their organization.  He didn't hesitate to blow me off with a, "Thanks, I'm pretty tied up for the rest of the summer, shoot me an e-mail in the fall." Looking forward all summer to my next communication with the FOM it finally came time to call him and again he blew me off, "Well, we really don't accept volunteers, but get ahold of me again this spring, and maybe I'll have something for you."  I felt like giving up.  A number of things weren't going my way in life as it was, so the Beatles had to remind me that I should just Let it Be.  I shook it off and remembered to myself that all events are neutral, that I had nothing to be afraid of by putting myself out there and being rejected.  But then I also realized that I had not been rejected, the FOM told me to get ahold of him in the spring and that's exactly what I did!  I called him back six months later and again, "I just really don't know what I can do to get you involved here.  Why don't you get ahold of me the first week of June around festival time."  This time, I definitely knew I was cooked, until Journey said to me Don't Stop, Believin'!!!  It wasn't until the first week of June 2010 that I finally made some headway.  I happened to be helping put on a local Irishfest and was at the festival grounds the night prior to opening day watching another concert (Gin Blossoms) when who was standing behind me but the FOM himself!  I turned around and again, re-introduced myself.  He noticed my Irishfest Committee shirt and expressed interest in coming by to check out the festival.  I was able to secure two VIP Passes for the festival through a good friend to give to him and his wife.  After this, the FOM asked me to be a part of the country music festival I had been so persistant in trying to get involved with all year long!  Bruce Springsteen started me on this quest and Toby Keith capped it off reminding me that I could stick my toungue out at those who were calling me crazy and say, "How Do You Like Me Now?"

This is just one example from my life of the music telling me important messages.  Margie, thanks again for showing me that you too are always looking to learn wherever possible.  I know we all Listen to the Music and sometimes it is the only thing that clears out all the noise telling us we can't!

-Kyle

1 comment:

  1. Ah, what a wonderful post!

    Yes, I often get messages from the music I listen to. Inspiration is everywhere if you always have your ears and eyes open.

    Thanks for the mention, my friend!

    ReplyDelete