Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What is the most important position at your company?

When I was in high school, I applied for my first job as a lifeguard at the local outdoor swimming pool.  Working there carried with it somewhat of an “Elite” status in my hometown.  I’m not sure that is the case anymore, but in my day it was most certainly the most highly coveted place to work in that small Iowa town as a high school student. 
The thing about that job that stands out most, now that I am in the “real” workforce, had nothing to do with the pool hotties, the spectacular tan I came back to school with, or even the rare occasions I felt heroic by rescuing a struggling kid in the deep end.  What stands out most now, is a question the Parks Director asked when I interviewed for the position.  He prefaced the question with, “Now the next question is one I always like to ask just so I know a little more about how you think.  There is no right or wrong answer; I would just like to know your thought process.”  The question was this:

“What do you think is the most important job at Riverview Pool?”

The jobs at Riverview Pool include; Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Cashier, Concessionaire, and Manager.  At the time, I had no exposure to any type of business.  I had never really had a “big picture” view of any kind of operation.  I would venture to say I was a bit narrow-minded and un-educated.  That being said, I gave him a response I suspect was quite typical of his applicants.  I chose “Manager” as most important and said something along the lines of, “Without a high quality management team, the operations would not run smoothly…blah blah, BS BS, etc. etc.”  Looking back, knowing what I know now about business, I would change my response.  I would tell him that EVERY position is the most important position.  For fear of sounding cliché, I’ll immediately say that the justification for changing my response is NOT “because everyone plays an important role in the organization.”  Rather, if you think about it, every position serves a specific purpose to the patrons.  The most important position within that organization depends on the perspective of the patrons.  To the folks standing in line waiting to get in right when the pool opens, the Cashier is the most important position.  To the little kid struggling in the deep end, perhaps the Lifeguard is most important?  To the mom who has a gripe about paying admission and encountering a sudden downpour, the Manager is likely most important.  To the folks trying to pass the swim test in order to go off the diving board, I’m sure the Swim Instructor is most important, and to the 12-year old in need of his daily sugar fix-Lemonheads and Mountain Dew-the Concessionaire is DEFINITELY the most important position at Riverview Pool.

Think about it.  How many times have you seen some Brand Manager or some Executive walking around like they are the cat’s meow?  How many times have YOU walked around like the cat’s meow?  It may be subtle things, I know I’ve done it.  I'e done it as a Lifeguard at the pool and I've done it in business.  No matter how blatant or subtle the gestures of self-appreciation are, remember you are a part of a TEAM that services MILLIONS of people…you, individually, don’t always matter to them!

If your product isn’t up to your CO’s gold standard, your consumer gets on the phone and the person they talk to is most important.  If a distributor is missing a pallet from their last shipment, the Supply Chain Rep is the most important person in the company.  If a competitor is calling you out, “Your product is 50% less effective than ours!” then the Research and Development Analyst is most important!  Point: Stop and think about where you, as an individual, fit into the big picture.  When it’s your time to shine, SHINE!  When it’s your time to listen, listen.  When it’s your time to be invisible, be invisible…Let others have their moment too!

-@spittk07

No comments:

Post a Comment